Friday, August 26, 2022

Book 33 Will Rise From Ashes

 
 
 Will Rise From Ashes by Jean M. Grant fulfilled the category “Book with Two Points of View” for the PopSugar 2022 Reading Challenge.

As you know, most romances have two points of view—the love interests of the tale. I had a full playing field to choose from for the category. But when Ms. Grant told me about her book, I grabbed it.

Jean M. Grant writes both historical and contemporary romances. I always equated her with the historicals. But when I heard about Will Rise From Ashes, I knew the book would hit all my buttons.

First, it’s a post-apocalypse book—kinda. The volcano under Yellowstone has erupted! Thank God, it wasn’t the super massive, earth-altering event scientists predicted. But it’s bad.

Really bad.

A.J. Sinclair arrives home in Maine just as the volcano goes. She and her son, Will, are devastated to realize A.J.’s brother and her younger son never caught their flight home. They are still somewhere in the western US, most likely Colorado. The entire region was hit hard. Not in complete panic (some rational thoughts prevailed), A.J. packs up Will for a cross-country trip to find her son.

Phew!

From there comes a wild ride on a newly widowed woman driving 3000 miles to find one small boy. Along the way, she encounters thieves, mad men, kind people, and one sweet gentleman. A.J. gives in to her better instincts and allows that gentleman, Reid Gregory, to join them in their quest. He’s headed toward Colorado, too. Sparks fly between them, but A.J. feels compelled to keep her eyes on the prize, protecting the son with her and finding her other boy.

The novel is told from two points of view. One would expect to hear from A.J. and Reid. Nope, Ms. Grant mixes it up. The story is told from A.J.’s point of view and Will’s—her autistic son. It blew me away to see the novel unfold with these two telling the tale. Not only that, but the author chose to further disregard conventions. A.J.’s side of the tale is told in the first person (with I and me) while Will’s is in third person (he and him).

It worked well, like five stars good.

Listening to the book from these two voices brought home the real angst of the tale, the frantic fear for her son, and Will’s unique perspective with his autism. His scenes really give voice to people with that condition. Will has some of the “expected” behaviors of someone with autism, but he has other unique qualities one might not expect. Just having his point of view shows the reader that people with autism have a wide range of behaviors, habits, intelligence, and interests. I loved hearing his thoughts.

I refuse to spoil anything more because you need to read this book. It is a romance at heart, so you might guess the ending… I loved every second.

I give Will Rise From Ashes by Jean M. Grant Five Reliable SUVs for a cross-country trip.

 

1 comment:

  1. Awww! Thank you for such a lovely review. You summed up the story perfectly! So glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete

2022 Year End Roundup

  Ah, my friends, we have reached another year’s end. We’ve shared fifty books over 52 weeks. Phew, I’m tired. Last year, in my final last...