Friday, April 8, 2022

Book 13 Slave to Sensation

 


Slave to Sensation by Nalini Singh fulfilled the category “Book by a Pacific Islander Author” for the PopSugar 2022 Reading Challenge. Ms. Singh is from New Zealand and is of Indo-Fijian descent. She’s one of the hottest romance writers out there.

I worried there might be some controversy about such a title. If you read the novel, you can see it’s merely a word choice. Our heroine, Sascha Duncan, is trapped by her society to feel nothing. She’d been trained to restrain her emotion and live using only her brain. Basically, she’s a Vulcan with some psychic superpowers. She’s spent her entire life hiding her deviant emotions until she meets pack leader Lucas Hunter. Then all hell breaks loose inside her head.

The world-building in this first of a series is fantastic. Ms. Singh touches on the familiar with were-animals and a hidden Star Trek reference. Then she builds a complete world structure that includes their powers, family life, and even business practices. It was as if I were right there, living in her futuristic California.

Speaking of feelings. Please do not read this book on audio with teens in the house. I received quite a few “Oh, my God, Mom! Really?” as I enjoyed this spicy story. Ms. Singh brings the heat in waves and droves. Right from the start, the couple had sparks, fire, and outright flames to the ceiling. And the inner conflict was so perfect. Sascha’s not supposed to feel, but she’s so hot for Lucas she can’t keep it contained. The two have chemistry for days.

The outer conflict worked well two, having their two worlds collide in a business deal. That could have been enough to bring them together and allow Sascha to explore her emotions. But then they discover a serial killer. Who doesn’t love a serial killer? Using both their powers, the couple must take down a very dangerous villain. This book had everything I love in a paranormal romance. I wish I hadn’t taken so long to grab a Nalini Singh book!

I give Slave to Sensation by Nalini Singh Five Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookies.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

2022 Year End Roundup

  Ah, my friends, we have reached another year’s end. We’ve shared fifty books over 52 weeks. Phew, I’m tired. Last year, in my final last...